Trouble On The Loo?
Your toilet habits aren’t exactly high on the list of things to talk about, but they can actually say a lot about your overall health. Are you forever in the loo or do you experience diarrhoea, constipation, bloating, abdominal pain or flatulence?
These symptoms may be a sign that you have a functional gut disorder.
It is important to ensure you have optimum digestive function, as it impacts the health of your whole body and how you feel every day. Simple additions to your daily routine such as taking prebiotics and/or probiotics can help return your gut to full health.
The Lowdown On Functional Gut Issues
How often you move your bowels is a good indicator of how well your gut is functioning. Whilst daily bowel motions are ideal, a slow transit time of less than three poops per week is considered clinical constipation. On the other hand, frequent, loose stools can indicate diarrhoea.
Symptoms such as pain, flatulence, bloating and straining, feelings of incomplete emptying, or even seeing blood, mucus or undigested food in the toilet can all indicate a potential functional gut issue and will need to be managed effectively.
This where a Naturopath or Nutritionist can help!
Why Am I Suffering?
Stress, diet, and previous health issues may all be playing a part in a functional gut disorder. An imbalance in the gut microbiome, and inflammation/irritation from dietary or immune triggers may lead to leaky gut (increased permeability of the gut lining), thus exacerbating symptoms.
You may even fit the bill for conditions such as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). A Naturopath or Nutritionist can help you to map out your symptoms, identify potential triggers, and assess whether a strain-specific probiotic or prebiotic is suited to your gut disorder.
Prebiotics And Probiotics Save The Day
Prebiotic fibre and strain-specific probiotics may help promote a healthy gut and relieve functional gut disorders. For instance the probiotic, Lactobacillus plantarum 299v, and partially hydrolysed guar gum (PHGG) have been shown to help improve constipation, pain, bloating and flatulence. These two ingredients have been shown to make bowel movements easier, and ease the associated symptoms of functional gut issues.
- PHGG: is a prebiotic fibre that will feed the health-promoting good bacteria in your gut and will support good bowel health.
- Lactobacillus plantarum 299v: IBS sufferers may benefit from this specific probiotic strain that has been clinically trialled to relieve symptoms such as alternating constipation and diarrhoea and severe abdominal pain.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Poo
Rejuvenate your digestive tract with these simple tips:
- Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet (aim for 7 different types every day), plus legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds to ensure you are getting enough fibre to feed your gut bacteria and help to keep you regular.
- Eat fermented foods such as yoghurt, kimchi, sauerkraut or kombucha which provide you with additional gut friendly bacteria.
- Aim to drink 2L of water every day (this can include coconut or mineral water and herbal tea). It will replace the fluids lost with diarrhoea, or if you’re constipated it helps to moisten the stool.
- Move your body, which will improve circulation to your digestive tract and in turn support healthy bowel function.
The Strain is Over
There is no need to struggle with annoying gut symptoms anymore! To reduce your daily digestive dilemmas and improve your overall health and wellbeing, reach out to one of our friendly practitioners today.
Call (07) 4946 7910 or book online here.